The feast of Our Lady of Sorrows commemorates the seven great sorrows which Mary lived in relation to Her Son, as they are recorded in the Gospels or through Tradition.
Seven sorrows of our Blessed Mother included:
- The flight of the Holy Family into Egypt
- The loss and finding of the child Jesus in the Temple
- Mary’s meeting of Jesus on His way to Calvary
- Mary’s standing at the foot of the cross when our Lord was crucified
- Her holding of Jesus when He was taken down from the cross
- Our Lord’s burial.
Looking to the example of Mary, may we too unite our sufferings to our Lord, facing them with courage, love, and trust. Amen.